Skip to main content

Proof of Residency




  • Proof of ownership- suggested but not limited to:
    • Mortgage statement, tax bill or deed, PLUS with two pieces of U.S. mail with your name and Brighton address listed.
    • Accepted purchase offer if ownership is pending. Occupancy must occur within ninety (90) days of the date on the purchase contract or tuition may be charged. Once the sale is completed, proof of ownership must be provided to the Registration Office (closing statement, deed, HUD-1 settlement statement, mortgage statement)
  • Proof of tenancy:
    • Signed rental/lease agreement with the child’s name included as an occupant. If the child's name is not on the lease, a letter from owner/landlord stating the child is residing with you, accompanied with the lease, is necessary. 
    • PLUS Two pieces of U.S. mail with your name and Brighton address are also required with your lease.
  • If this documentation is not available, the District may consider other forms of residency documentation, including but not limited to:

1. Pay stub

2. Income tax form

3. Membership documents - such as library cards -based upon residency

4. Voter registration document

5. Official driver's license, learner's permit or non-driver ID

6. State or other government issued identification

7. Documents issued by Federal, State, or local agencies (e.g., local social services agency, federal office, refugee resettlement)

8. Evidence of custody of the child, including, but not limited to, judicial custody orders or guardianship papers.


****If  the above items are not available, the District Registrar will provide assistance


  • Proof of shared residence:
    • If you are living in the District with a relative/friend, a notarized affidavit from the owner of the property is required. (We can provide you with this form if necessary). Proof of ownership may be requested.
    • If you are staying in a property that is leased/rented, a copy of the lease with ALL tenants listed is required. 
    • In addition to the notarized statement you must also provide at least two pieces of U.S. mail with your name and Brighton address.


Please Note:

Students must reside within the Brighton Central School District boundaries with their biological parents or legal guardian, or, meet other residency requirements such as a foster child, adoption, emancipation (other situations may apply).

Sending a nonresident student to a school district without proper residency status is not permissible under New York State Law.  The BCSD reserves the right to investigate all situations in which residency is not properly documented, and is required to prosecute any violation of the district's residency policy to the fullest extent of the law